miércoles, 30 de mayo de 2012

Aramis who would goose woman, man and beast


It's funny how people can put you off perfectly nice scents. The man who put me off Aramis, the perfectly nice scent in question, was an ex-boss who would goose woman, man and beast, given half a chance. He also used to douse himself in Aramis, along with that other gents' power perfume of the past, Kouros.
So for years I would recoil whenever I smelled it. Sorry, Estée Lauder! I do appreciate that wasn't what the legendary perfumer Bernard Chant had in mind when he created it back in 1965 for your men's sub-brand. And I do absolutely adore it now, the sultry mix of citrus and smoke being just my thing, along with Chant's two other masterpieces for Aramis - Devin and 900 ("brother" scent to Clinique's Aromatics Elixir, incidentally) - and JHL, a scent relatively new to my acquaintance.
Well, say hello to another Aramis baby: Perfume Calligraphy, the first new addition to this family of fragrances since 1988 (ignoring variations on existing names such as Aramis Impeccable and what-have-you) and a unisex one to boot. I am happy to report that it is great, none too shouty but certainly intense and one for fans of oud, which has become the perfume ingredient du jour (there's also cardamom, cinnamon, lemon, rose and patchouli in there).
But before you get too excited... it is designed specially for Arab customers, which is not to say that non-Arabs can't wear it of course, nor that you have to go to Dubai to procure a bottle, thankfully. No, Harrods is stocking it exclusively. With luck, it will become more widely available in the West. I say with luck because it's a worthy addition to the Aramis stable and, I'm prepared to bet, a future classic. £105 for 100ml eau de parfum; harrods.com

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario